Skip to main content

Feminism Redefined

Some of the most stimulating conversations occur at the crack of dawn, amid long yawns and highway lights on the way to work. This particular morning, we were discussing something ostensibly trivial and yet, it has made me consider. Does being a new feminist mean needing new role models?

Nearly every girl has grown up on the fantasy stories perpetuated by relatives giving books at Christmas and by the ever popular Disney films. We were raised on tales of love, opulence, magic and eternity- and most importantly to some people, the idea that a woman desperately needs to be rescued. By no means is this blog the first to address this issue. I remember vividly and episode of Sex and the City where Carrie debated the very same conundrum in her column. She, unlike her girlfriend, Charlotte, felt that the idea of a woman needing to be saved by a man was repugnant. She advocated the premise that in a modern day society, women would never wait around for a man. They would get jobs, get a right-hand ring, and find fulfillment in their individual success. And although Carrie is only a fictional character, she is not alone in this thought process. An article I read once upon a Sunday also comes to mind. The journalist here said that Disney's films were in fact detrimental to the young women of the next generation, and that Disney heroines were not the kind of role models any girl should have. She said that the idea of needing to be attractive and depend on a man would ruin any girl's chances for a healthy attitude towards herself.

I respectfully and heartily disagree. I am willing to concede that women should not be helpless. In a global society as full of potential pitfalls and dysfunction as today's, a woman has to be able to competently look out for herself. But I would certainly argue that at least a few of Disney's heroines do just that: teach girls to be independent and feminine at the same time. Take Belle, of Beauty and the Beast, for instance. Here was a woman who was educated, well read, and philosophical. She ran her household and ran it well, but always wanted more. So much more, in fact, that she rejected the opportunity for a life of being supported by a handsome man. She chose to take her chances and go it alone. Then, when fate did bring a man across her path, she told him to treat her right or not at all. And he listened. She chose a partnership with a man she respected, and a man who respected her. And that is a lesson every girl could learn from.

The long and short of it is, feminism has always been alive and well- in the ability of the individual woman to make a conscious choice about how she wants to live her life, no matter what that life may be. And it is not for us to judge the role models of old. They were products of their own time. But that doesn't mean we can't learn from both their mistakes and their successes. Which is why I will always encourage my daughter to watch Disney films, and to read fairytales. As a daughter of a feminist generation, she will have the chance to make of these things what she will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Monday (Insert Clever, Alliterative Title Here)

There are a lot of issues concerning the rights of women and children being debated both locally and nationally right now. I find myself very strongly on one side of that argument, but that is not what I am here to discuss. At least, not specifically. In order to complete my master's degree in English, I am taking a class in Victorian literature. For the last few weeks in that class, we have been studying Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and my world has been completely changed. In most classes, when you study EBB, you study her Sonnets to the Portuguese, or, as I think of them, "How much I love my husband". They are very romantic and extremely well-written, but reading her other, less universally acknowledged works has been an eye-opening experience for me. I have just read Aurora Leigh . For those of you who are completely unfamiliar with this work, let me give a brief overview. Aurora Leigh is a young woman recently returned to England after the death of her father. I say r

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of

Juice Fast: DayThree

The scale told me this morning that I have lost seven pounds. I also woke up this morning with a massive headache: the kind of headache that only massive amounts of water, a few hours extra sleep, and a good dose of extra-strength Advil could cure. So, ups and downs.  The hardest part of this whole thing continues to be eating at all. When I think about having to juice fruits and vegetables, I decided to just skip the whole thing because the idea of drinking another meal is so desperately unappealing. Norris is very against this. I think eventually he is going to pinch my nose and pour juice down my throat to make sure that I am consuming an appropriate amount of calories to keep my system running. I think I am getting better at the actual juicing part though. Tonight for dinner I made a juice containing kiwis, apples, celery, kale, lemon, ginger, and cucumber. It is totally green, but definitely the best tasting vegetable based juice that I have made so far. I think it will defini