Skip to main content

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

I have recently become quite interested in the idea of modern fairy tales. That is, modern retellings of classic fairy tales, meant to be marketed to tween/teenage readers. It is fascinating to me that the crux of these tales stands the test of time and needs only to be updated for a modern audience. I believe that these adaptations are paving the way for a new breed of feminist, and that contrary to what some people may think, the heroines of these classic stories are actually excellent role models for strong young women. More on that to come.

To that end, I recently finish reading Cinder by Marissa Meyer, the first in a quartet called The Lunar Chronicles.  It is, in a word, stellar. And it fits the mold of what I described above perfectly. Clearly this is a retelling of Cinderella, and in fact Meyer places quotes from the original story at strategic breaks throughout the book. But in this case, we are not in 18th century Europe, but Asia of the future. The book is set in a place called the Eastern Commonwealth, part of a united global community that is not only plagued by threats of war from the government on the moon, but from an actual plague itself. Oh, and Cinderella (Linh Cinder) is a cyborg.

With all this going on, Cinder becomes much more than a story about the good girl triumphing over her evil stepsisters--in fact, one of Cinder's stepsisters is actually a wonderful person. It becomes instead a book about hope, about social status, about racism, bigotry, and diplomacy. As Cinder finds herself more and more embroiled in the politics between Earthens (Earth people) and Lunars (Moon people), she has to confront difficult choices between self and country, single and whole.

Add to that Cinder's complete antithesis from the usual heroine: she is part girl part robot who works as a mechanic fixing cars and androids. She prizes practicality, compassion, and intelligence, and she recognizes the importance of her place in the world while simultaneously working toward a better future for herself and her race in the face of personal tragedy.  A noble role model indeed.

Style-wise the book was generic. At least, it was no more complicated or lyrical than you would expect from a young adult novel geared toward girls in their early teens. This is not to say that the writing was not good. In fact, I found myself enjoying the writing with the same enthusiasm that I enjoyed The Hunger Games. I even found myself reading the book in first person, though it was written in third person. Older readers might find the writing a little simplistic, but not clumsy or immature. Just when things started to go flat for me, Meyer slipped in something funny or sarcastic that made me smile and reengage (case in point, the robotic foot that is left behind at the ball in place of a glass slipper).  Ultimately, any lack of style in the writing is saved by the sheer amount of captivating material in the characters and plot. This novel is a prize in what is becoming an increasingly popular genre, taking a real classic and remaking it into something relevant, thought provoking, and engrossing for any reader of young adult fiction.

Bring on the sequels! And potentially a movie deal.

Comments

  1. Thanks for reviewing this book! I saw it at B&N the other day but was afraid to pick it up in case it was a shallow and redundant reinterpretation of the old fairytale. You've given me hope that it's worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Monday (Insert Clever, Alliterative Title Here)

There are a lot of issues concerning the rights of women and children being debated both locally and nationally right now. I find myself very strongly on one side of that argument, but that is not what I am here to discuss. At least, not specifically. In order to complete my master's degree in English, I am taking a class in Victorian literature. For the last few weeks in that class, we have been studying Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and my world has been completely changed. In most classes, when you study EBB, you study her Sonnets to the Portuguese, or, as I think of them, "How much I love my husband". They are very romantic and extremely well-written, but reading her other, less universally acknowledged works has been an eye-opening experience for me. I have just read Aurora Leigh . For those of you who are completely unfamiliar with this work, let me give a brief overview. Aurora Leigh is a young woman recently returned to England after the death of her father. I say r

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of

Juice Fast: DayThree

The scale told me this morning that I have lost seven pounds. I also woke up this morning with a massive headache: the kind of headache that only massive amounts of water, a few hours extra sleep, and a good dose of extra-strength Advil could cure. So, ups and downs.  The hardest part of this whole thing continues to be eating at all. When I think about having to juice fruits and vegetables, I decided to just skip the whole thing because the idea of drinking another meal is so desperately unappealing. Norris is very against this. I think eventually he is going to pinch my nose and pour juice down my throat to make sure that I am consuming an appropriate amount of calories to keep my system running. I think I am getting better at the actual juicing part though. Tonight for dinner I made a juice containing kiwis, apples, celery, kale, lemon, ginger, and cucumber. It is totally green, but definitely the best tasting vegetable based juice that I have made so far. I think it will defini