Skip to main content

Things I Love

There is a little blog I love to follow called Bonzai Aphrodite. It is written by this incredibly genuine, intelligent vegan woman named Sayward, who writes all about the vegan lifestyle, gardening, and raising her beautiful little boy. It makes me feel inspired every time I read it, and you should definitely check it out. One of the things Sayward does every Friday is post something she calls, "Le Love List." It is a compilation of all the wonderful things she is loving in her life at the moment--a kind of thankfulness list that lets her remember she has a lot to be grateful for, and encourages others to share what they are grateful for too. I think it is a great practice, so I thought I would take a minute to share some of the things I am loving in my life at this moment as well. So here is a short list of things I'm in love with this week:

We planted: tomatoes, zucchini, rosemary, basil, oregano, lettuce, and lemon verbena.
1. My Garden
I am not a huge fan of summer, but one thing I love is being able to grow fresh vegetables and herbs. The hubs is a huge gardening buff, so he keeps our house well landscaped and full of flowering goodness, which I love. There is nothing more relaxing than sitting on the patio amid climbing vines and vibrant blooms, listening to the wind chimes and thinking about the homemade pesto you will make later. I love it.





2. Iced Coffee
One other good thing about warmer weather is iced caffeinated beverages. Something about cold coffee is just so refreshing and satisfying and wonderful. I personally usually use Pioneer Woman's iced coffee recipe to brew it cold and keep a huge pitcher of it in my fridge, but instead of adding condensed milk the way she does (which is delicious, by the way) I use liquid Sugar in the Raw, and tell myself I'm being healthier. Don't spoil it for me. If you have never tried iced coffee, I must insist that you do so immediately. If you aren't into caffeine, go decaf! It's better than lemonade on a warm spring day, trust me.

                                                                                        3. My Family
Not pictured: my dad, who works more behind the scenes.
Mother's Day just happened, and obviously I was thrilled to let the mothers in my life know how important they are. It was kind of wonderful and weird to be receiving calls as well as making them this Mother's Day. But I am so thankful for my whole family. My husband, my daughter, my mom, my sister, my dad, my grandma--everyone. The older I get the more I realize how disgustingly functional we all really are, and it makes me so happy that I have this safety net, and a group of people that I am actually thrilled to be a part of.








4. Goal Completion
Something huge happened to me last week. I took the very last final of my Master's degree. After three years of working full time, going to school at night, and even giving birth during midterms, I have finally completed my Master's in English! Not only am I so grateful that I have accomplished what I set out to do, and that I will finally have a little bit of free time to do things like clean the house and review more books for the blog, but I am so utterly grateful to the staff, faculty, and overall English program at UCO. After spending the last three years there, I can say that this is possibly one of the most underrated universities in the state. I learned so much from the professors, all of whom are passionate, intelligent, and great at what they do. This is a program that really has the student in mind, and it was very refreshing. I could not be happier that I chose to do my first graduate degree there.

5. Goal Making
Now that I have a big accomplishment under my belt (I'm not trying to be a braggart, I promise. I'm just pumped.) it's time to make more goals. Among these new goals ranks getting a new job, working on getting more special training for my career, and actually sitting down and writing a short story. I'm really grateful that I have these ambitions, because sometimes I get really frustrated with the state of the world, and the slow progress of my professional life, and it's very discouraging. Knowing that there are still things I want to accomplish keeps me focused and motivated, and I love that.

Now it's your turn! What things are you loving right now? What inspires you? What are you thankful for? How was your mother's day? Share it with the world!

Comments

  1. You were in grad-school for three years?? I definitely didn't seem like that long (says the guy not taking classes).

    I'm going to refrain from making a list of "things I am loving right now" because I couldn't do it without feeling really cheesy. (no offense) I'll just leave it by saying that I'm trying to take time to be more intentionally grateful for the good things in life. (good friends and iced coffee among them.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coming out every day and seeing how much the garden has grown. To remove weeds, prune branches, and mold it all into what I want it to be. Nature doesn't tame, but I can will it to do what I want - as long as I keep paying attention. It's so interesting to see that a few days neglect and the whole thing has already begun to forget the plan I laid out for it.

    And I love my wife, now more professionally qualified and less stressed out than before :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Monday (Insert Clever, Alliterative Title Here)

There are a lot of issues concerning the rights of women and children being debated both locally and nationally right now. I find myself very strongly on one side of that argument, but that is not what I am here to discuss. At least, not specifically. In order to complete my master's degree in English, I am taking a class in Victorian literature. For the last few weeks in that class, we have been studying Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and my world has been completely changed. In most classes, when you study EBB, you study her Sonnets to the Portuguese, or, as I think of them, "How much I love my husband". They are very romantic and extremely well-written, but reading her other, less universally acknowledged works has been an eye-opening experience for me. I have just read Aurora Leigh . For those of you who are completely unfamiliar with this work, let me give a brief overview. Aurora Leigh is a young woman recently returned to England after the death of her father. I say r

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of

Juice Fast: DayThree

The scale told me this morning that I have lost seven pounds. I also woke up this morning with a massive headache: the kind of headache that only massive amounts of water, a few hours extra sleep, and a good dose of extra-strength Advil could cure. So, ups and downs.  The hardest part of this whole thing continues to be eating at all. When I think about having to juice fruits and vegetables, I decided to just skip the whole thing because the idea of drinking another meal is so desperately unappealing. Norris is very against this. I think eventually he is going to pinch my nose and pour juice down my throat to make sure that I am consuming an appropriate amount of calories to keep my system running. I think I am getting better at the actual juicing part though. Tonight for dinner I made a juice containing kiwis, apples, celery, kale, lemon, ginger, and cucumber. It is totally green, but definitely the best tasting vegetable based juice that I have made so far. I think it will defini