Skip to main content

Okie Poutine

Quite a while ago I wrote a review of a local restaurant called The Mule. You will notice that I did not love everything about my dining experience there, but there are several things that this restaurant does really well. One of those things is an appetizer they called "Okie Poutine."

 In case you are unfamiliar, poutine is a Canadian dish that literally translates to "mess," and is comprised of french fries, cheese curds, and brown gravy.  At The Mule, they have made it a little more regional, using Watonga cheese curds (Watonga being a town in Oklahoma that is known for its cheese) and cream gravy (because brown gravy just isn't a thing here). It. Is. Delicious. You might balk, thinking that cheese and gravy have no place in the same dish unless the eater is supremely hungover, but don't be so sure! It turns out that cheese and cream gravy are actually best friends.

So I became determined to make this dish at home, and that's exactly what I did, and what I am going to encourage you to do in the comfort of your own home.

Start with french fries. I used Ore-Ida crinkle cut fries, but if those aren't your bag, then use whatever you like. Just make sure you cook them so that they are nice and crispy on the outside, because they are going to have to support quite a bit of other stuff.

While the fries are in the oven, make some cream gravy.

Start by melting about half a stick of butter (1/4c) in a saucepan.

Add about 1/2 cup flour and stir it around. I didn't strictly measure the flour, I just sprinkle it in while stirring until it's combined and absorbed but not so dry it will burn. You'll know when it's the right amount.

Let this mixture brown for a minute, but watch it closely. When it's ready it will smell kind of like baking sugar cookies, but slightly less sweet. You'll know it when you smell it, because it's delicious smelling.

When the roux is browned, pour in the milk. I used about 1-1 1/2 cups, though I don't strictly measure. I just add in some milk until it looks like I will get the amount of gravy I want.

Give everything a good stir and add some black pepper; a pretty good amount.

Then add some salt.

Then some seasoned salt. Feel free to eyeball those amounts because you will want it to taste the way you like it.

From this point on you are going to have to keep an eye on things. You don't necessarily have to stir constantly the entire time, but if you leave it alone to cook too long, it will get lumpy and gross. I recommend using a whisk. You will also want to keep the heat at medium-low. My knob is 1-10, and I keep it at around 4.

So it will thicken as you stir. Cook it long enough to make it good and thick, because you don't want it running all over the place. And remember that it will thicken as it stands.

So when you fries are ready, pull them out of the oven and cover them with these. Cheese curds, fresh from Watonga! Yay!

I am super vigilant about grouping my fries together and making sure each fry has some cheese touching it. I like cheese on my fries.

Put the curd covered fries into the oven with the broiler on low. DO NOT LEAVE THE KITCHEN! I don't know about you, but my broiler is very intense, and food will go from browning to completely burnt in about a millisecond. Keep an eye on things and watch as the cheese curds melt into the fries. YUM.

Now, when you pull them out and the cheese is all melty, feel free to go ahead and just eat delicious cheese fries. Cheese curds make delicious cheese fries because they maintain really great texture. They don't get soupy or crusty. They melt and get all stringy and mostly stay that way, so they cling to the fries and provide maximum cheesiness. Sublime!

But we are going to add gravy to ours.

And this is the finished product! Eat it while it's piping hot and revel in the richness.

This is in no way a healthy dish. But if you share it with friends you will understand why I felt compelled to create it myself so  I don't have to get gussied up and go to a restaurant to have it. Enjoy!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Monday (Insert Clever, Alliterative Title Here)

There are a lot of issues concerning the rights of women and children being debated both locally and nationally right now. I find myself very strongly on one side of that argument, but that is not what I am here to discuss. At least, not specifically. In order to complete my master's degree in English, I am taking a class in Victorian literature. For the last few weeks in that class, we have been studying Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and my world has been completely changed. In most classes, when you study EBB, you study her Sonnets to the Portuguese, or, as I think of them, "How much I love my husband". They are very romantic and extremely well-written, but reading her other, less universally acknowledged works has been an eye-opening experience for me. I have just read Aurora Leigh . For those of you who are completely unfamiliar with this work, let me give a brief overview. Aurora Leigh is a young woman recently returned to England after the death of her father. I say r

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of

Juice Fast: DayThree

The scale told me this morning that I have lost seven pounds. I also woke up this morning with a massive headache: the kind of headache that only massive amounts of water, a few hours extra sleep, and a good dose of extra-strength Advil could cure. So, ups and downs.  The hardest part of this whole thing continues to be eating at all. When I think about having to juice fruits and vegetables, I decided to just skip the whole thing because the idea of drinking another meal is so desperately unappealing. Norris is very against this. I think eventually he is going to pinch my nose and pour juice down my throat to make sure that I am consuming an appropriate amount of calories to keep my system running. I think I am getting better at the actual juicing part though. Tonight for dinner I made a juice containing kiwis, apples, celery, kale, lemon, ginger, and cucumber. It is totally green, but definitely the best tasting vegetable based juice that I have made so far. I think it will defini