Skip to main content

My Day at the Theater

This past weekend, I went to go see a play with my parents. The play we went to see was a new musical called Once. In case you haven't heard of it, this is a story about a boy and a girl who make beautiful music in Dublin. This is a show that has won Tony Awards and kind of turned Broadway on its ear, so I was excited to see it. I am also always a little scared to see new shows, because I definitely love Old Broadway, and sometimes new stuff just...isn't that great. (Case in point: Jekyll and Hyde, the rock opera.

I was doubly  excited when we got there and they were letting people up on stage to look at the set close up! Cool! My dad and I immediately joined the queue. The stage was set up as what looked to me like an Irish pub, with a gleaming wood bar (that was actually selling drinks!), mirror-covered walls, and a big piano sitting center stage. It was beautiful. I took a good look around and chatted with my dad while we tried to spot my mom in the audience and wave to her. I couldn't find her.

 Then someone started playing a piano. Then a few people picked up guitars, a few others picking up violins, and one vibrantly redheaded woman started playing an accordion. They formed a circle in the middle of the stage and started singing. And I realized that this was not just pre-show fun. This was, in fact, the start of the performance. And my father and I, and a group of other audience members, were still standing on stage, holding coats and bags and cocktails. Now, to some this might be charming. But I hate audience participation. I am not a performer, and I don't enjoy the spotlight. If I were to work on a movie, I would want to be a director, or producer, or someone behind the scenes critiquing performances and telling people what to do. It's the reason that by and large I prefer to edit books rather than write them. I like to be prepared when making a presentation or performance, and I hate being put on the spot. So needless to say, I was horrified. As the audience (the lucky ones who were still in their seats) started clapping along with the music, I immediately began looking for an opportunity to run off the stage.

Eventually we made a (very awkward in my opinion) exit, and the play really started in earnest. Once is an incredibly music-driven show. In fact, the story itself is barely concrete. The plot points are vague, and the motivation behind the characters' actions seems sometimes random and sometimes simply emotional, but despite these decidedly floppy characteristics, the show is arresting and even enthralling thanks to a fantastic, almost endless soundtrack and excellent dialogue.

Boy and Girl from the Tulsa performance.
The two main characters, Boy and Girl, are perfect foils for each other, he a stereotypical tortured Irishman, and she a worldly but incredibly optimistic Polish woman. The interactions between them are sincere and often funny, and the incredible singing and instrumentation create an atmosphere that is truly alive. It is very much a love story, but more about a woman helping a man regain his love of music than about the two of them falling in love themselves. The tone is melancholy but genuine, as the Boy and the Girl learn about each other, and the Boy begins to play music again after having his heart broken, finding the strength to pursue both a career and a love life thanks to his new friends. In the Tulsa performance, all the actors did an amazing job. Their emotion was raw, their musical capabilities stellar (there is no orchestra--all the music is played on stage by the people in the cast), and their accents totally believable. It was clear that the affection between them was real, and that the music really meant something to them. And that made the show come alive.

The music (ah-such music!) is not that of a typical "musical". In fact, the show has been described as "a play with songs," which is a more accurate phrase. The songs are more akin to something you might hear at an Indie Rock show, or at a coffeehouse. The kind of music that becomes popular through word of mouth rather than intense radio play. The kind of music that college students listen to while creating pretentious world views. Which is not to say that it isn't good, because it is. Just that you will not find any jaunty singalong music and dance numbers in this show.

You won't come or stay for the story itself, but you will become immersed in a beautiful, emotional musical performance. It is a beautiful if somewhat shallow show, and while I doubt it will become a timeless Broadway classic (it strays too far from the typical Broadway formula for that--at least, that is my prediction, despite all theTonys it won), it will definitely stick in the mind of anyone who sees it.

And I will definitely be purchasing the soundtrack.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Monday (Insert Clever, Alliterative Title Here)

There are a lot of issues concerning the rights of women and children being debated both locally and nationally right now. I find myself very strongly on one side of that argument, but that is not what I am here to discuss. At least, not specifically. In order to complete my master's degree in English, I am taking a class in Victorian literature. For the last few weeks in that class, we have been studying Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and my world has been completely changed. In most classes, when you study EBB, you study her Sonnets to the Portuguese, or, as I think of them, "How much I love my husband". They are very romantic and extremely well-written, but reading her other, less universally acknowledged works has been an eye-opening experience for me. I have just read Aurora Leigh . For those of you who are completely unfamiliar with this work, let me give a brief overview. Aurora Leigh is a young woman recently returned to England after the death of her father. I say r

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of

Juice Fast: DayThree

The scale told me this morning that I have lost seven pounds. I also woke up this morning with a massive headache: the kind of headache that only massive amounts of water, a few hours extra sleep, and a good dose of extra-strength Advil could cure. So, ups and downs.  The hardest part of this whole thing continues to be eating at all. When I think about having to juice fruits and vegetables, I decided to just skip the whole thing because the idea of drinking another meal is so desperately unappealing. Norris is very against this. I think eventually he is going to pinch my nose and pour juice down my throat to make sure that I am consuming an appropriate amount of calories to keep my system running. I think I am getting better at the actual juicing part though. Tonight for dinner I made a juice containing kiwis, apples, celery, kale, lemon, ginger, and cucumber. It is totally green, but definitely the best tasting vegetable based juice that I have made so far. I think it will defini