Skip to main content

I Am Afraid of Snakes

I am giving you some valuable information here. Snakes are my biggest fear. My second biggest fear is that upon discovering my biggest fear, people will pounce on it and send me snakes in the mail, or put them in my bed, or my car, or throw them in my face like David Bowie did to Jennifer Connelly in Labyrinth.

So, the other day, when Norris was getting ready to go on a short trip, we were talking about all the critters in our yard. Normally I like all these critters. We have a bunch of toads (like, seriously, we have like 20 toads in our back yard—and that’s just the ones we can find. Toads freaking love us.) and a couple tree frogs, and some praying mantises, and snails, and a family of birds (dusky flycatchers—the babies all just flew away and I was very sad) that nested in our patio light fixture, and for a few days we had a raccoon living in one of our trees. We also have a couple of hawks (I mean two hawks that are in a committed relationship. We know they care about each other because they sit on the power line all day, debating whether they can actually carry off our giant cat, Tybalt, if they work together) and a family of cardinals, and a family of robins. We had a skink for a couple of years, but he was murdered in a duel with Tybalt and deposited in our bedroom as tribute. We promptly informed Tybalt that duels are not acceptable behavior in this household, so he killed a bluejay and left the feathers in strategic places to teach us a lesson—we never did find the body. Which just goes to show that cats really are the dominant species in this world.

Our baby birds! 
Anyway, as I was saying, we are very grateful for the rich ecosystem that is our backyard. It is a delightful way to get our daughter engaged with nature, and she loves it all. But with all the rain we have been getting, and with the knowledge that with rising water comes displaced snakes. This makes me apprehensive. So I said to Norris, “What if there’s a snake attack while you’re gone?” and he laughed at me. He said, “What, do you think they are all just outside the fence, waiting for you to be left alone so they can ambush the house?” And I replied, with as much dignity as anyone with a completely irrational phobia can muster, “Yes, actually, that is exactly what I think is going on. Usually you are my snake buffer. Remember that one time that big black snake got into the garage and you came and warned me not to go out there until you had relocated his lifeless form after heroically killing him to protect your family?”

(I need to interrupt myself here to mention that my husband and I are not really advocates of killing snakes. Especially Norris. We normally believe in relocation because snakes aren’t evil killing machines, they’re just super creepy and gross. But Norris thought this particular snake looked like it might be venomous, and in a fit of paternal rage, killed the snake before getting a good look at its eyes—the window to a snake’s venomous status. He was very sorry about it after the fact.)

After this point, Norris abruptly stopped discussing snakes with me and told me to just not go outside while he was gone.


Snake Watch continues. Please don’t send me snakes in the mail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Monday (Insert Clever, Alliterative Title Here)

There are a lot of issues concerning the rights of women and children being debated both locally and nationally right now. I find myself very strongly on one side of that argument, but that is not what I am here to discuss. At least, not specifically. In order to complete my master's degree in English, I am taking a class in Victorian literature. For the last few weeks in that class, we have been studying Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and my world has been completely changed. In most classes, when you study EBB, you study her Sonnets to the Portuguese, or, as I think of them, "How much I love my husband". They are very romantic and extremely well-written, but reading her other, less universally acknowledged works has been an eye-opening experience for me. I have just read Aurora Leigh . For those of you who are completely unfamiliar with this work, let me give a brief overview. Aurora Leigh is a young woman recently returned to England after the death of her father. I say r

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of

Drugstore Diva: What My Face is Wearing These Days plus my First Ever Giveaway!

First, My BB Cream Story. I am not sure if you are aware, but there is a new beauty product flooding the market right now. It is called BB Cream, and no, I do not have any idea what the Bs stand for. It is a cross between foundation and moisturizer--one step up from tinted lotion and one step below actual makeup. In short, this is a product tailor made for people with sensitive skin, a lax beauty routine, or both. I decided to try it immediately upon discovering that such a product existed, but decided that I did not want to spend a lot of money. So I picked up the L'Oreal BB Cream. L'Oreal makeup has rarely disappointed me. It is usually my favorite drugstore brand, but this time, they really let me down. The cream was not very creamy at all. It came out of the tube as a white liquid, requiring me to rub it between my fingers for application. This got more product on my fingers than my face. Once applied, it became almost powdery, leaving me feeling less than moisturized, and