Skip to main content

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner(s)!

Did you know that you can buy an entire chicken at the grocery story for less than $6? Well, you can. And if you are willing to put up with a little home butchering, it can make enough food to last you almost a week. I bought a chicken last weekend for our Sunday meal, and used the last of it just yesterday. This is a huge help when you are trying to mitigate the expensive cost of meat in your grocery budget.

First, it needs a little work. I roasted the chicken for our weekend dinner, and I always butterfly it because it cooks faster that way. I'm not going to sugarcoat it--butterflying a chicken is kind of gross. Really gross, actually. But if you can overcome your squeamishness, it cooks great. There are a lot of great tutorials for doing this on YouTube, but here is how I did it. 
Step 1: Remove the giblets (the heart, neck, and gizzard). This is disgusting because you must reach into a dead animal and pull out its organs. But once they are out, you can throw them away, or use them to make giblet gravy! 

Here are the removed giblets. I know, yuck.

Step 2: Locate the tail and lift it up. Then, with kitchen scissors (or a knife, but seriously, scissors make it so much easier), cut down the length of the bird in a V shape, on either side of the spine. It will be a little hard, and will sound very crunchy. Brace yourself for that.

Step 3: Channel your favorite Game of Thrones character, and use your hands to rip the spine from the body. 

This is what it looks like when the spine has been removed. 

Step 4: Turn the chicken over so the spine hole is facing down. Again, channel a barbarian and use your hands to press downward, cracking the rest of the bones and flattening the chicken. Congratulations! The chicken is now butterflied.

Now you want to get the chicken ready to cook. So throw away all the gross stuff, put the chicken in a roasting pan, and then mix up some herb butter. I have used a mix of salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, and herbs de Provence. 

When the butter is mixed, pat it all over the top of the chicken.

And put some under the skin also. Keeps it nice and moist! 

This is my chicken with butter smeared all over it. It will melt and coat everything and make the skin delicious as it roasts.

Then add some veggies. I added carrots, shallots, and a few heads of garlic. Yum! 

Roast the chicken at 375 degrees for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. If you have it, use a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a leg to make sure it's done. Or be like me and just cut into it with a knife to check the color. 

Serve it up with some mashed potatoes, and make sure you drizzle some chicken sauce from the bottom of the pan all over the top of everything! You have now completed Dinner #1! 

So the next night, we still had plenty of chicken leftover, so we decided to make chicken pot pie! I used Pioneer Woman's recipe, because let's be honest, the woman knows what she's doing. But here's the step by step: 

First cook some celery, onion, and carrot in a large pan. 


Add in the chicken! 

Add in chicken broth! 

Add in heavy cream! (I think PW calls for 1/2 & 1/2, but I'm more hardcore than that.)

Put a pie crust in a deep pie pan, and add the warm filing. (I used frozen Pillsbury crust and it worked just fine!) 

Add another pie crust to the top of the pie! Brush the whole top with egg wash to make sure it gets nice and golden brown! 

Again, bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes and this is how it comes out! 


Eat it all up! This was delicious, and the pie actually lasted us for two days! Dinner #2 (and #3) down! 

So by this point I didn't have a ton of chicken left, but it was still too much to justify throwing anything away. So for lunch one day I decided to make chicken salad. Yum! 

Start with what's left of the chicken, and shred it up real good! 

I added chopped pecans, green grapes, mayo w/ olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Just throw it all in the bowl. If you want to use walnuts, use walnuts. If you like purple grapes, use purple grapes. You can also use greek yogurt instead of mayo. 

Mix it all together with a fork! Definitely use a fork. It works better. 

Pile that chicken salad high on some whole wheat bread! No garnishes necessary (although, if you like fancy sandwiches you could always add lettuce). It's delicious! Also, I had enough chicken salad for two sandwiches so, BAM! Lunch two days in a row! 

And that is how I basically fed my family for a whole week using only one chicken. A chicken that cost me $5.25 at the grocery store. Was the initial butchering pretty gross? Yeah. But in the end it was totally worth it. Give it a try! 

How else do you like to use chicken? I like to also make Chicken and Dumplings, Chicken Enchiladas, and Fried Chicken Tacos. You could use a home-roasted chicken for any of that stuff. 

Comments

  1. I've recently discovered the ease and tastiness of roasting chicken also! This past week we ate it first with parsnips, then mixed in macaroni and cheese, and the rest cold for lunches and snacks. We've also put it on homemade pizza.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Monday (Insert Clever, Alliterative Title Here)

There are a lot of issues concerning the rights of women and children being debated both locally and nationally right now. I find myself very strongly on one side of that argument, but that is not what I am here to discuss. At least, not specifically. In order to complete my master's degree in English, I am taking a class in Victorian literature. For the last few weeks in that class, we have been studying Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and my world has been completely changed. In most classes, when you study EBB, you study her Sonnets to the Portuguese, or, as I think of them, "How much I love my husband". They are very romantic and extremely well-written, but reading her other, less universally acknowledged works has been an eye-opening experience for me. I have just read Aurora Leigh . For those of you who are completely unfamiliar with this work, let me give a brief overview. Aurora Leigh is a young woman recently returned to England after the death of her father. I say r

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of

Drugstore Diva: What My Face is Wearing These Days plus my First Ever Giveaway!

First, My BB Cream Story. I am not sure if you are aware, but there is a new beauty product flooding the market right now. It is called BB Cream, and no, I do not have any idea what the Bs stand for. It is a cross between foundation and moisturizer--one step up from tinted lotion and one step below actual makeup. In short, this is a product tailor made for people with sensitive skin, a lax beauty routine, or both. I decided to try it immediately upon discovering that such a product existed, but decided that I did not want to spend a lot of money. So I picked up the L'Oreal BB Cream. L'Oreal makeup has rarely disappointed me. It is usually my favorite drugstore brand, but this time, they really let me down. The cream was not very creamy at all. It came out of the tube as a white liquid, requiring me to rub it between my fingers for application. This got more product on my fingers than my face. Once applied, it became almost powdery, leaving me feeling less than moisturized, and