Skip to main content

The Husband and The Cheese: A Comedy in Three Parts

I have a small, hilarious slice of life to share with you all.

Firstly, you may or may not be aware of my unhealthy obsession frequent use of Amazon.com for ordering everything from books to tootsie rolls.Okay, really I just use it for books and tootsie rolls. There is really nothing in between. Or at least there wasn't, until I discovered that you could buy real food on Amazon, not just chewy candy. And then my plans for becoming a total recluse and ordering all my groceries online started. I love Amazon.com.

Secondly, you may or may not also be aware that I subsist completely eat the government recommended amounts of cheese (three times a day). Let's just be honest. Cheese is what makes life worth living. It brings people together. It is my spring in winter, and my winter in the dreadfully hot summer. If I were to start a philanthropic organization, it would be to fund research for a cure for lactose intolerance, because I hate the idea that anyone should be denied the chance to live a life full of cheese.

Thirdly, I love my husband. He is a pragmatic delight who brings order and peace to the chaotic, cheese-filled nature of my daily life. And recently, he has also been without a laptop.

The other day, these three things collided into a perfect storm of mild hilarity.

I frequently add things to my Amazon cart that I have no intention of purchasing right away. I put them there so that I will remember that I want them, and so that when I do go back to buy them, I don't have to search for them again. This is how I ended up with some cheese in my Amazon cart.

I had been perusing one of my favorite blogs, Grilled Cheese Social. This is a blog devoted completely to making grilled cheese sandwiches. You can see its allure. On this particular post, the blog was describing a sweet cheese that tastes like caramel candy when grilled on a sandwich. This cheese is called Gjetost (Ski Queen) cheese. My interest was caught. Because I am intimately familiar with every cheese counter in town, I knew that the likelihood of finding this cheese within driving distance was slim. So I found it on Amazon (did I mention they have everything?) and added it to my cart, planning to buy it later, after I had convinced Norris that paying $12/lb for internet cheese was a good idea.

But Norris beat me to the punch.

He was in dire need of a new laptop, what with all the other computers in his possession deciding to give up on life simultaneously. I offered him the use of my  trusty lappy, Marvin (who I will never say a bad word about, lest he rise up against me and delete all my files), to shop for a new one. He found one he loved on Amazon. (They really should be paying me for advertising at this point.) He added it to my cart. He payed for the cart. He received a confirmation email. He realized with horror that he had not just purchased a laptop. He had also purchased my $12 cheese! 

Needless to say, I was over the moon at this happy accident and spent the next hour jumping with joy at the fact that I was getting my cheese. Norris turned up the volume of his Call of Duty so that he wouldn't have to hear me gloating. It reached near deafening levels when I received the message that my cheese would be arriving a full week before his laptop.

And that is why you should always review your wife's Amazon cart before purchasing things through her account.

P.s. I'm getting my cheese! Did you hear? Here is the link to the cheese on Amazon.

Comments

  1. hahahahaha. I freaking LOVE this.

    ps - I would never be able to go through a pound of cheese. ever. at least, not before it got moldy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Monday (Insert Clever, Alliterative Title Here)

There are a lot of issues concerning the rights of women and children being debated both locally and nationally right now. I find myself very strongly on one side of that argument, but that is not what I am here to discuss. At least, not specifically. In order to complete my master's degree in English, I am taking a class in Victorian literature. For the last few weeks in that class, we have been studying Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and my world has been completely changed. In most classes, when you study EBB, you study her Sonnets to the Portuguese, or, as I think of them, "How much I love my husband". They are very romantic and extremely well-written, but reading her other, less universally acknowledged works has been an eye-opening experience for me. I have just read Aurora Leigh . For those of you who are completely unfamiliar with this work, let me give a brief overview. Aurora Leigh is a young woman recently returned to England after the death of her father. I say r

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of

Juice Fast: DayThree

The scale told me this morning that I have lost seven pounds. I also woke up this morning with a massive headache: the kind of headache that only massive amounts of water, a few hours extra sleep, and a good dose of extra-strength Advil could cure. So, ups and downs.  The hardest part of this whole thing continues to be eating at all. When I think about having to juice fruits and vegetables, I decided to just skip the whole thing because the idea of drinking another meal is so desperately unappealing. Norris is very against this. I think eventually he is going to pinch my nose and pour juice down my throat to make sure that I am consuming an appropriate amount of calories to keep my system running. I think I am getting better at the actual juicing part though. Tonight for dinner I made a juice containing kiwis, apples, celery, kale, lemon, ginger, and cucumber. It is totally green, but definitely the best tasting vegetable based juice that I have made so far. I think it will defini