Skip to main content

Word Wednesday, A Day Late

Well, I intended to write this post yesterday, but unfortunately I am not one of those lucky women who is able to make her fortune purely through her blog. Though it is my not-so-secret fantasy. At any rate, here is the word of the week! Enjoy!

In honor of the fast-approaching holiday (Valentine's Day), here is a word that encompasses the utter, debilitating pain of being in love:


smite
verb \ˈsmīt\
smote smit·ten or smote smit·ing
Definition of SMITE
transitive verb
1
: to strike sharply or heavily especially with the hand or an implement held in the hand
2
a : to kill or severely injure by smiting b : to attack or afflict suddenly and injuriously
3
: to cause to strike
4
: to affect as if by striking
5
: captivate, take
intransitive verb
: to deliver or deal a blow with or as if with the hand or something held




You have probably heard the word "smitten" to describe someone who it completely twitterpated. In fact, I wanted to use the word "twitterpated" as the word of the week, but Merriam Webster informed me that it is technically not a word. Urban Dictionary, however, defines twitterpated as "smitten". So here we are.

As you can see, this word can be used to describe physical violence, but culturally, it also speaks to the completely disorienting and often painful process of falling head over heels in love with someone (or something).

Use it in a sentence!*

"I smote my enemy upon the mountainside."--Gandalf, Lord of the Rings

"I am completely smitten with my corgi, Marty McFly."--Me, on a daily basis

"I will smite you!" --God, throughout most of the Old Testament (I'm paraphrasing here.)

*I would like to note that other than my quote of myself, which I know to be accurate, I did not double check any of these quotes. The purpose here is to show how this word can be used as different parts of language.

Go out and smite someone with your love this Valentine's Day. It's the best way to celebrate.

What are you smitten with? Share your smites here!

Comments

  1. There are some landowners in western OK I would like to smite. However, I am smitten with Word Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freshman year of college, playing poker with my roommates (out in the Allen lounge, 4th floor tables of course!) I made an obnoxious raise and my buddy across the table asked why I would do such a thing. Though I meant to say "just to *spite* you!", because it was (probably) 4am on a Tuesday, it came out "Just to smite you!" Much laughter followed that, owing mostly to the time of day I suspect. (Writing about it now it doesn't seem too funny, but I promise, at 4am it definitely was...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Monday (Insert Clever, Alliterative Title Here)

There are a lot of issues concerning the rights of women and children being debated both locally and nationally right now. I find myself very strongly on one side of that argument, but that is not what I am here to discuss. At least, not specifically. In order to complete my master's degree in English, I am taking a class in Victorian literature. For the last few weeks in that class, we have been studying Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and my world has been completely changed. In most classes, when you study EBB, you study her Sonnets to the Portuguese, or, as I think of them, "How much I love my husband". They are very romantic and extremely well-written, but reading her other, less universally acknowledged works has been an eye-opening experience for me. I have just read Aurora Leigh . For those of you who are completely unfamiliar with this work, let me give a brief overview. Aurora Leigh is a young woman recently returned to England after the death of her father. I say r

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of

Juice Fast: DayThree

The scale told me this morning that I have lost seven pounds. I also woke up this morning with a massive headache: the kind of headache that only massive amounts of water, a few hours extra sleep, and a good dose of extra-strength Advil could cure. So, ups and downs.  The hardest part of this whole thing continues to be eating at all. When I think about having to juice fruits and vegetables, I decided to just skip the whole thing because the idea of drinking another meal is so desperately unappealing. Norris is very against this. I think eventually he is going to pinch my nose and pour juice down my throat to make sure that I am consuming an appropriate amount of calories to keep my system running. I think I am getting better at the actual juicing part though. Tonight for dinner I made a juice containing kiwis, apples, celery, kale, lemon, ginger, and cucumber. It is totally green, but definitely the best tasting vegetable based juice that I have made so far. I think it will defini