Skip to main content

Perfect Wines for Shallow Pockets

This weekend I hosted a wine tasting at my house. The rules were simple: everyone brought a bottle of wine that could be purchased for under $20. The unofficial rule with my particular group of friends involves choosing wines with interesting labels. Serendipitously, the wines with the interesting labels turned out to be some of the most delicious and affordable wines--which was, of course, the goal.

We ended up trying two white wines and five reds. Yes, we tried seven different wines. Then ended up talking late into the night while we polished off a wheel of brie. We've come a long way since the heady days of beer pong and bottles of Boone's Farm with giant straws sticking out of the top.

The Whites

The first white wine we tried was Apothic White. It is a blend of chardonnay, moscato, and riesling. For those of you not in the know, this is a fairly sweet blend. However, despite not being white wine drinkers, everyone at the table admitted to enjoying this wine. The tropical fruit flavor from the sweeter grapes definitely came through, but with a refreshing bite from the chardonnay at the end. It left no sickly sweet residue in our mouths after swallowing, and it was agreed by all that this was a white wine that we would be more than willing to sip on a hot summer evening while waiting for a nice fish filet to grill.

The second white, Cupcake's Angel Food fared less well. Based on the name of this wine, we expected it to be extremely sweet, but it was the opposite of that. It was much, much drier than the Apothic wine, and while we couldn't discern a distinct flavor from the initial taste, it did leave behind a biting after effect that tasted mostly of alcohol. It was pretty bland in both color and tasted, and we all agreed that we would only drink this wine if it was maybe made into white wine sangria, so that it had something to punch up the flavor a little.

The Reds

The red wines were much more popular. Every single tasting participant had an incredibly hard time choosing their favorite. So instead of choosing a favorite wine, we chose to DRINK ALL THE WINE!

Red One: Pinot Evil Pinot Noir
This was a delectably mild red. I would definitely suggest this for red wine neophytes. It had a fairly low alcohol content, and a medium red color. The smell was light and faintly sweet, though there was no true sweetness in the taste. Instead, it was pleasantly dry; it washed over the palate evenly and didn't dissolve into alcohol flavor or bitterness after being swallowed. Instead, it left my tongue feeling delightfully blank, as if it was just waiting to be influenced by the peppery flavor of a roast pork loin, or a nice garlicky spaghetti sauce.

Red Two: Stark Raving Red
This wine was a crowd pleaser. First, we all loved the way the guy on the label somewhat resembled Robert Downey Jr. But it also proved to be an extremely tasty beverage. The label said that it should have notes of plum and red fruit, both of which definitely came through. It had a very strong scent that tingled in my nostrils, and unless you really enjoy red wine, I would not recommend sniffing too deeply. But the taste was refreshingly dry with a sweet, plummy aftertaste that left me wanting nothing more than another glass.

Red Three: Lenore Syrah
This is not a wine for amateurs. Syrahs are typically very full-bodied with deep chocolate, espresso, and peppery flavors, and this wine had all those things. As dark and mysterious as the Poe story it alludes to, the Lenore Syrah was complex, silky, and spicy, with a nice smooth finish. This wine belongs with a big rare steak and a true Ceasar salad. Or with a particularly pungent cheese and dark, bitter chocolate.



Red Four: Santa Ema Cabernet Sauvignon 
This was our exotic visitor for the evening (a Chilean wine), but ironically, it hit the closest to home. I am generally a cab-sav drinker by default, because it is a type of wine that is usually good with everything. This particular one was purported to have a pruney, cherry flavor, and it definitely had a fulller, deeper, sweeter flavor that, despite having an abundance of tannins, was incredibly well-balanced. This is a red wine for all occasions and I would not hesitate in the slightest to drink this again.



Red Five: Apothic Red
This was the red blend of the group. It was pretty much a grab bag of every red wine available: zinfindel, merlot, syrah, and cabernet. It's flavors were meant to be red fruit, vanilla, and mocha. The vanilla flavor shone through more than any other note, making it taste fairly sweet, but nonetheless thoroughly enjoyable. This would be another good choice for white wine drinkers looking to break into red. This would also be a great wine to take to a dinner party, as it would pair well with pretty much any food, and would appeal to almost any palate.




We all had a really great time trying so many new wines, and now we have a new, affordable repertoire to consult when wine shopping! What are your go-to reds and whites? Share them here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Monday (Insert Clever, Alliterative Title Here)

There are a lot of issues concerning the rights of women and children being debated both locally and nationally right now. I find myself very strongly on one side of that argument, but that is not what I am here to discuss. At least, not specifically. In order to complete my master's degree in English, I am taking a class in Victorian literature. For the last few weeks in that class, we have been studying Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and my world has been completely changed. In most classes, when you study EBB, you study her Sonnets to the Portuguese, or, as I think of them, "How much I love my husband". They are very romantic and extremely well-written, but reading her other, less universally acknowledged works has been an eye-opening experience for me. I have just read Aurora Leigh . For those of you who are completely unfamiliar with this work, let me give a brief overview. Aurora Leigh is a young woman recently returned to England after the death of her father. I say r

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of

Juice Fast: DayThree

The scale told me this morning that I have lost seven pounds. I also woke up this morning with a massive headache: the kind of headache that only massive amounts of water, a few hours extra sleep, and a good dose of extra-strength Advil could cure. So, ups and downs.  The hardest part of this whole thing continues to be eating at all. When I think about having to juice fruits and vegetables, I decided to just skip the whole thing because the idea of drinking another meal is so desperately unappealing. Norris is very against this. I think eventually he is going to pinch my nose and pour juice down my throat to make sure that I am consuming an appropriate amount of calories to keep my system running. I think I am getting better at the actual juicing part though. Tonight for dinner I made a juice containing kiwis, apples, celery, kale, lemon, ginger, and cucumber. It is totally green, but definitely the best tasting vegetable based juice that I have made so far. I think it will defini