Skip to main content

Your Tears Don't Move Me

Usually, when someone is crying, the person comforting them (or, in some cases, the person who just happens to be standing nearby when said waterworks commence) says something along the lines of "it's okay" and repeats infinite variations of this phrase over and over. The prolific application of this particular turn of phrase is utterly mysterious to me.

The mystery of this action lies not in the action itself, nor the intentions of the comforter (it seems obvious to me that the intention is to bring solace, and in most cases, stop the crying), but rather in the actual meaning of the words. What do they mean, "it's okay"? Do they mean "don't cry, everything is all right?" or, "it's okay that you are crying--cry it out" (somehow I don't think this can be the case in those situations where the comforter is comforting the comfortee out of mere social obligation rather than real emotional investment) or does this inscrutable yet simple phrase really mean, "i am telling you it's okay because I have no idea what else to say and you are making me feel incredibly awkward right now, so i am compelled to try to end this awful situation".

This last option seems to me to be the most likely meaning of these words, and after reaching this conclusion I have postulated that the next person to say that to me whilst I am crying will immediately achieve their goal: I will immediately stop crying long enough to punch them in the face for being trite and insensitive. Anger really is the best alternative to sadness--it is easier to deal with all around.

I am not in the place to give advice where it isn't warranted, but I guess all I am saying is this: if you embark on the mission to comfort a crying person, tell them the truth. Don't tell them it is okay (unless of course you feel it necessary to specify that it is okay to cry), unless you have a real solution to whatever problem they are facing. I am not trying to encourage misanthropy, or to testify that I prefer not to be approached while in an emotional upheaval, it's just a question of the difference between comfort and placation. The former is legitimately helpful and the latter merely patronizing.

And that's my two cents--for what it's worth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner(s)!

Did you know that you can buy an entire chicken at the grocery story for less than $6? Well, you can. And if you are willing to put up with a little home butchering, it can make enough food to last you almost a week. I bought a chicken last weekend for our Sunday meal, and used the last of it just yesterday. This is a huge help when you are trying to mitigate the expensive cost of meat in your grocery budget. First, it needs a little work. I roasted the chicken for our weekend dinner, and I always butterfly it because it cooks faster that way. I'm not going to sugarcoat it--butterflying a chicken is kind of gross. Really gross, actually. But if you can overcome your squeamishness, it cooks great. There are a lot of great tutorials for doing this on YouTube, but here is how I did it.  Step 1: Remove the giblets (the heart, neck, and gizzard). This is disgusting because you must reach into a dead animal and pull out its organs. But once they are out, you can throw them away, ...

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of ...

Books Burning

I came across this on one of my favorite twitters the other day. I meant to address it sooner, but there you are. Books are very near and dear to my heart. In fact, if I were to compile a top five list of the things most important to me, books would be in the top two, competing for top billing with a few key people. I cherish my novels and treasure my poetry. I covet nonfiction, and revere essays. My bookshelf is always full to bursting with what I feel is a well-rounded library of tomes that would interest even the most obstinate anti-bookworm. I have always maintained that everybody likes to read- those who say they don't have just not found the right book yet. This adoration and appreciation for literature being as ingrained in my being as the necessity to breath in and out, I am understandably outraged and that anyone- regardless of their convictions- would condone or participate in the banning or censorship of books. It is a concept as abhorrent to me as any evil ideal that m...