Skip to main content

Redeeming Cookies

Despite the shaming brownie bite incident, I decided to persevere with my Christmas baking endeavors, and I am happy to report that the rest of my sweet treats were undoubtedly a success!

I began my second day of baking by making these delicious Molasses Cookies. I made the dough the night before, so it was good and refrigerated. This is something that can really make all the difference when it comes to cut-out cookies. On the blog where I found them, they are in the shape of maple leaves, but I made mine in the shape of Christmas trees. Below, find a chronicling of my adventure in baking molasses cookies.
I began by flouring my workspace. I use a large square of glass for all my cooking and baking prep. It stays nice and cool, and bits of food and germs don't get stuck in it like in wood or plastic. So there is a ball of dough. It was very, very cold. But it also looked totally delicious.

Here is a picture of the rolled out dough. This took some effort because the dough was so cold, and I can tell you that in the case of these cookies cold dough and a properly floured rolling pin were invaluable. As I rolled out subsequent batches I noticed the dough becoming stickier and stickier, so I had to re-flour the rolling pin between each batch. I worried that this might end up working too much extra flour into the dough, but it seemed fine in the end, so I won't worry as much about that next time.



After getting the dough rolled out, it was a simple matter of cutting out the cookies. I love this Christmas tree cookie cutter. It has a nice rubber grip on the top that makes pressing it into the dough really very comfortable. And it came right from Walmart! How about that? Anyway, it was at this point that I actually missed a crucial step in the process. I forgot to sprinkle the orange turbinado sugar on the top of the cookies before I put them in the oven. This ended up being okay though, because I remembered just a couple minutes into the cook time and added the sugar then. It didn't seem detrimental to the cooking process.

Here is a picture of the finished cookies. They puffed up a little bit, but they were firm and chewy, with just the right amount of sweetness. I definitely consider them a baking success, although next time I will probably line the baking sheet with parchment paper. It just keeps things cleaner all around.

This recipe was really pretty easy, and they baked/cooled really quickly.I haven't tested these beauties on my family yet, but I have a feeling that they are going to become a family Christmas staple.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner(s)!

Did you know that you can buy an entire chicken at the grocery story for less than $6? Well, you can. And if you are willing to put up with a little home butchering, it can make enough food to last you almost a week. I bought a chicken last weekend for our Sunday meal, and used the last of it just yesterday. This is a huge help when you are trying to mitigate the expensive cost of meat in your grocery budget. First, it needs a little work. I roasted the chicken for our weekend dinner, and I always butterfly it because it cooks faster that way. I'm not going to sugarcoat it--butterflying a chicken is kind of gross. Really gross, actually. But if you can overcome your squeamishness, it cooks great. There are a lot of great tutorials for doing this on YouTube, but here is how I did it.  Step 1: Remove the giblets (the heart, neck, and gizzard). This is disgusting because you must reach into a dead animal and pull out its organs. But once they are out, you can throw them away, ...

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of ...

Drugstore Diva: What My Face is Wearing These Days plus my First Ever Giveaway!

First, My BB Cream Story. I am not sure if you are aware, but there is a new beauty product flooding the market right now. It is called BB Cream, and no, I do not have any idea what the Bs stand for. It is a cross between foundation and moisturizer--one step up from tinted lotion and one step below actual makeup. In short, this is a product tailor made for people with sensitive skin, a lax beauty routine, or both. I decided to try it immediately upon discovering that such a product existed, but decided that I did not want to spend a lot of money. So I picked up the L'Oreal BB Cream. L'Oreal makeup has rarely disappointed me. It is usually my favorite drugstore brand, but this time, they really let me down. The cream was not very creamy at all. It came out of the tube as a white liquid, requiring me to rub it between my fingers for application. This got more product on my fingers than my face. Once applied, it became almost powdery, leaving me feeling less than moisturized, and...