Skip to main content

Book Review: My So-Called Freelance Life by Michelle Goodman

It's every person's secret dream: to be able to wake up in the morning at a reasonable hour, pour a cup of coffee, and sit down on the couch with their laptop in their pajamas--and work. The brass ring that is freelancing can seem unattainable to those just now entering the work force, but Michelle Goodman illuminates the potential in any career for the ultimate at-home workday--then she offers practical, friendly, useful advice on how to achieve the goal. In My So-Called Freelance Life, Goodman offers up a cohesive, user-friendly guide for grasping at the perfect job--the kind where the only supervisor is the cat sitting next to you on the couch.

"If you want the world to take you seriously as a creative professional, you need to start bringing home the bacon."



Firstly, the book was a genuine pleasure to read. Goodman's writing style is familiar and funny, incorporating useful tips and anecdotes that supplement her extensive experience and research. Every chapter offers a summary of key points, and the book is supremely quotable, lending itself to return trips and prodigious highlighting. She offers incredible insight into every aspect of working from home full time, from how to network and build a client base to how much to charge for a freelancing job, to registering yourself as a corporation.

"You never know when you might get lucky and meet the freelance lead of your dreams."


But there is much more to this book than simple advice. Goodman encourages the reader to do more than just get excited about the prospect of freelancing. She provides tried and true examples of websites, reliable companies, and exactly what kind of company/resource/service the upstart freelancer should be looking for. She has amazing intuition about which parts of freelancing liberal arts majors will find most thorny. She suggests, for instance, investigating getting an accountant, particularly if you make the decision to incorporate. And she recommends finding a competent web designer with whom you have a good working relationship to help design your website. She defines the happy medium between working for exposure (what she calls PIE) and working for profit. In short, this is the kind of book that, if you don't buy the e-book version, will be destined for dog ears and many, many return trips. With Michelle Goodman's invaluable expertise available worldwide, there is no doubt that brick and mortar offices will soon become a thing of the past. 

My So-Called Freelance Life is available from Seal Press, and wherever books are sold.

Comments

  1. Get that laptop out of your pajamas! That can't be comfortable. And it's inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha. But it's so warm and toasty!

      Anyway, thanks for the review, Katie! I might go pick this up.

      Delete
  2. Also, this review makes me want to buy the book. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to get this! Good review! That is the dream.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner(s)!

Did you know that you can buy an entire chicken at the grocery story for less than $6? Well, you can. And if you are willing to put up with a little home butchering, it can make enough food to last you almost a week. I bought a chicken last weekend for our Sunday meal, and used the last of it just yesterday. This is a huge help when you are trying to mitigate the expensive cost of meat in your grocery budget. First, it needs a little work. I roasted the chicken for our weekend dinner, and I always butterfly it because it cooks faster that way. I'm not going to sugarcoat it--butterflying a chicken is kind of gross. Really gross, actually. But if you can overcome your squeamishness, it cooks great. There are a lot of great tutorials for doing this on YouTube, but here is how I did it.  Step 1: Remove the giblets (the heart, neck, and gizzard). This is disgusting because you must reach into a dead animal and pull out its organs. But once they are out, you can throw them away, ...

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of ...

Drugstore Diva: What My Face is Wearing These Days plus my First Ever Giveaway!

First, My BB Cream Story. I am not sure if you are aware, but there is a new beauty product flooding the market right now. It is called BB Cream, and no, I do not have any idea what the Bs stand for. It is a cross between foundation and moisturizer--one step up from tinted lotion and one step below actual makeup. In short, this is a product tailor made for people with sensitive skin, a lax beauty routine, or both. I decided to try it immediately upon discovering that such a product existed, but decided that I did not want to spend a lot of money. So I picked up the L'Oreal BB Cream. L'Oreal makeup has rarely disappointed me. It is usually my favorite drugstore brand, but this time, they really let me down. The cream was not very creamy at all. It came out of the tube as a white liquid, requiring me to rub it between my fingers for application. This got more product on my fingers than my face. Once applied, it became almost powdery, leaving me feeling less than moisturized, and...