Skip to main content

Book Review: How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

Let's cut to the chase. Everyone, male and female, needs to read this book. In How to Be a Woman, Caitlin Moran takes an incredibly (seemingly) complicated issue (feminism and female identity) and makes it almost unbearably simple. She sums it up in two short questions:
"Do you have a vagina? Do you want to be in charge of it?"
It can, apparently, be that simple. 

Through an  honest, emotional, and hilarious recounting of her own life, compared with strong, well-researched analyses of the female plight, Moran creates the image of a world in which women can just be women--and still be successful. Where it isn't a "man's world" or a "woman's world" but just "the world". She refers to humanity as a whole as "The Guys"; a group that everyone should be a part of, equally,without putting gender specifications on behavior, looks, and social niches.

"...the purpose of feminism isn't to make a particular type of woman. The idea that there are... inherently right 'types' of women is what's screwed feminism for so long..."
This is not the stereotypical "man-hating", strong-armed feminist prose. Moran presents a view of feminism where women don't have to hate men, where they can, in fact, enjoy the company of men. Enjoy things like shoes, and makeup, and sex. Moran's brand of feminism is not waging a war, it is issuing a detente under which the sexes can collaborate and enjoy the best of all possible worlds. Where sexuality is genuinely celebrated, not exploited or used for gain. Where people as a whole are allowed to make their own decisions about their own lives and say, "This is me!" without fear of censure from their peers. She specifies of course, that this does not mean being nice to everyone, or liking everybody all the time. Which will come as a relief to men and women alike.

Here is a thoughtful probing of accepted conventions of both feminism and anti-feminism, explaining with as much objectivity as possible why each camp is flawed, why we as a society are too obsessed with categorizing each other, and why women are sometimes their own worst enemy in their fight for liberation.

"In the 21st century, it can't be about who we might make, and what they might do, anymore. It has to be about who we are, and what we're going to do."

With wit, wisdom, and an outrageously simple plan for the success of the female gender, Moran creates what will inevitably become the new guidebook for young women everywhere looking for their place in the world and a reassuring treatise for women who have been fighting the good fight for years.

Do you have a vagina? It doesn't matter. You should read this book, discuss this book, devour this book as soon as possible.

Comments

  1. Seems like a good timely read considering you're about to have a baby to raise :) How did you hear about this book? Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I read this book, partly because I'm about to have a daughter and partly because it was just so frank and encouraging. I actually heard about it in a review on NPR and then I was looking for some feminist literature after reading the article in The Atlantic called "Why Women Still Can't Have It All", which I would encourage everyone to read as well. You should definitely pick up a copy of both. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner(s)!

Did you know that you can buy an entire chicken at the grocery story for less than $6? Well, you can. And if you are willing to put up with a little home butchering, it can make enough food to last you almost a week. I bought a chicken last weekend for our Sunday meal, and used the last of it just yesterday. This is a huge help when you are trying to mitigate the expensive cost of meat in your grocery budget. First, it needs a little work. I roasted the chicken for our weekend dinner, and I always butterfly it because it cooks faster that way. I'm not going to sugarcoat it--butterflying a chicken is kind of gross. Really gross, actually. But if you can overcome your squeamishness, it cooks great. There are a lot of great tutorials for doing this on YouTube, but here is how I did it.  Step 1: Remove the giblets (the heart, neck, and gizzard). This is disgusting because you must reach into a dead animal and pull out its organs. But once they are out, you can throw them away, ...

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of ...

Drugstore Diva: What My Face is Wearing These Days plus my First Ever Giveaway!

First, My BB Cream Story. I am not sure if you are aware, but there is a new beauty product flooding the market right now. It is called BB Cream, and no, I do not have any idea what the Bs stand for. It is a cross between foundation and moisturizer--one step up from tinted lotion and one step below actual makeup. In short, this is a product tailor made for people with sensitive skin, a lax beauty routine, or both. I decided to try it immediately upon discovering that such a product existed, but decided that I did not want to spend a lot of money. So I picked up the L'Oreal BB Cream. L'Oreal makeup has rarely disappointed me. It is usually my favorite drugstore brand, but this time, they really let me down. The cream was not very creamy at all. It came out of the tube as a white liquid, requiring me to rub it between my fingers for application. This got more product on my fingers than my face. Once applied, it became almost powdery, leaving me feeling less than moisturized, and...