Skip to main content

Okie Poutine

Quite a while ago I wrote a review of a local restaurant called The Mule. You will notice that I did not love everything about my dining experience there, but there are several things that this restaurant does really well. One of those things is an appetizer they called "Okie Poutine."

 In case you are unfamiliar, poutine is a Canadian dish that literally translates to "mess," and is comprised of french fries, cheese curds, and brown gravy.  At The Mule, they have made it a little more regional, using Watonga cheese curds (Watonga being a town in Oklahoma that is known for its cheese) and cream gravy (because brown gravy just isn't a thing here). It. Is. Delicious. You might balk, thinking that cheese and gravy have no place in the same dish unless the eater is supremely hungover, but don't be so sure! It turns out that cheese and cream gravy are actually best friends.

So I became determined to make this dish at home, and that's exactly what I did, and what I am going to encourage you to do in the comfort of your own home.

Start with french fries. I used Ore-Ida crinkle cut fries, but if those aren't your bag, then use whatever you like. Just make sure you cook them so that they are nice and crispy on the outside, because they are going to have to support quite a bit of other stuff.

While the fries are in the oven, make some cream gravy.

Start by melting about half a stick of butter (1/4c) in a saucepan.

Add about 1/2 cup flour and stir it around. I didn't strictly measure the flour, I just sprinkle it in while stirring until it's combined and absorbed but not so dry it will burn. You'll know when it's the right amount.

Let this mixture brown for a minute, but watch it closely. When it's ready it will smell kind of like baking sugar cookies, but slightly less sweet. You'll know it when you smell it, because it's delicious smelling.

When the roux is browned, pour in the milk. I used about 1-1 1/2 cups, though I don't strictly measure. I just add in some milk until it looks like I will get the amount of gravy I want.

Give everything a good stir and add some black pepper; a pretty good amount.

Then add some salt.

Then some seasoned salt. Feel free to eyeball those amounts because you will want it to taste the way you like it.

From this point on you are going to have to keep an eye on things. You don't necessarily have to stir constantly the entire time, but if you leave it alone to cook too long, it will get lumpy and gross. I recommend using a whisk. You will also want to keep the heat at medium-low. My knob is 1-10, and I keep it at around 4.

So it will thicken as you stir. Cook it long enough to make it good and thick, because you don't want it running all over the place. And remember that it will thicken as it stands.

So when you fries are ready, pull them out of the oven and cover them with these. Cheese curds, fresh from Watonga! Yay!

I am super vigilant about grouping my fries together and making sure each fry has some cheese touching it. I like cheese on my fries.

Put the curd covered fries into the oven with the broiler on low. DO NOT LEAVE THE KITCHEN! I don't know about you, but my broiler is very intense, and food will go from browning to completely burnt in about a millisecond. Keep an eye on things and watch as the cheese curds melt into the fries. YUM.

Now, when you pull them out and the cheese is all melty, feel free to go ahead and just eat delicious cheese fries. Cheese curds make delicious cheese fries because they maintain really great texture. They don't get soupy or crusty. They melt and get all stringy and mostly stay that way, so they cling to the fries and provide maximum cheesiness. Sublime!

But we are going to add gravy to ours.

And this is the finished product! Eat it while it's piping hot and revel in the richness.

This is in no way a healthy dish. But if you share it with friends you will understand why I felt compelled to create it myself so  I don't have to get gussied up and go to a restaurant to have it. Enjoy!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner(s)!

Did you know that you can buy an entire chicken at the grocery story for less than $6? Well, you can. And if you are willing to put up with a little home butchering, it can make enough food to last you almost a week. I bought a chicken last weekend for our Sunday meal, and used the last of it just yesterday. This is a huge help when you are trying to mitigate the expensive cost of meat in your grocery budget. First, it needs a little work. I roasted the chicken for our weekend dinner, and I always butterfly it because it cooks faster that way. I'm not going to sugarcoat it--butterflying a chicken is kind of gross. Really gross, actually. But if you can overcome your squeamishness, it cooks great. There are a lot of great tutorials for doing this on YouTube, but here is how I did it.  Step 1: Remove the giblets (the heart, neck, and gizzard). This is disgusting because you must reach into a dead animal and pull out its organs. But once they are out, you can throw them away, ...

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of ...

Drugstore Diva: What My Face is Wearing These Days plus my First Ever Giveaway!

First, My BB Cream Story. I am not sure if you are aware, but there is a new beauty product flooding the market right now. It is called BB Cream, and no, I do not have any idea what the Bs stand for. It is a cross between foundation and moisturizer--one step up from tinted lotion and one step below actual makeup. In short, this is a product tailor made for people with sensitive skin, a lax beauty routine, or both. I decided to try it immediately upon discovering that such a product existed, but decided that I did not want to spend a lot of money. So I picked up the L'Oreal BB Cream. L'Oreal makeup has rarely disappointed me. It is usually my favorite drugstore brand, but this time, they really let me down. The cream was not very creamy at all. It came out of the tube as a white liquid, requiring me to rub it between my fingers for application. This got more product on my fingers than my face. Once applied, it became almost powdery, leaving me feeling less than moisturized, and...