Skip to main content

The Fungus Among Us


Aren't they pretty? 
I love mushrooms. I think they are cute, and pretty, and fascinating. Before all this rain, I even bought a couple ceramic mushrooms to put in the flower bed because they make me think of the forest floor in a fairytale. Now that we’ve gotten so much moisture, though, we have tons of living mushrooms all over the garden!

The main garden. Carrots in front.



Speaking of the garden itself, it is nice and green, but having a little trouble actually growing because all the weather has kept temperatures cooler than they normally are this time of year. We haven’t gotten nearly as many spring blooms as we normally do, and all the tropical plants, like our passion flower vine and hibiscus and bird of paradise are enjoying the rain but not the cooler temps.

Yellow squash! 
Nevertheless, here is what is happening in the garden this year so far: carrots, onions, garlic, tomatoes, purple bell peppers, sweet jalapenos, zuchinni, land yellow squash. In the herb garden, we have sweet basil (ravaged by grasshoppers—we will have to replace some plants), cinnamon basil, peppermint, lavender, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and goji berries. I also have a blackberry bush and a strawberry bush. Oh, and we have pumpkins growing behind the back fence. Yay for homemade jack-o-lanterns!


Anyway, here is a roundup of the various fungi that are inhabiting our yard right now, and some more of our ever-present amphibious wildlife!

 These ones got a little beat up by the rain, but I like their funky shape. Oh, and for the record, I have no idea what any of these are actually called. I just think they're cute.

 More of the same. I love that one standalone on the right! Such a shiny cap!

 These weird mushrooms are called Bird's Nest. Because of the little eggs, see? These are literally everywhere in our yard right now. You can't walk without stepping on them. Crazy!

 Now this is a true fairytale mushroom. Look at that bright red cap! This probably means it is highly poisonous, but I just think it is beautiful, like a hookah-smoking caterpillar must secretly live there.


 These I love because they reminded me of those mushrooms from Fantasia that dance to the Nutcracker. Beautiful brown color and they all grow in these cute little clusters. I love them.


Bonus toad! He's so cute and fat because there are a ton of bugs in the garden because of all the rain. He and all his friends can stay as long as they want! Evie loves this toad. She says hi to him every time we are in the garden, and when we go back inside she yells, "Byyyye Toad! Love YOU!" She's a nature girl.
Snails. Not as welcome an addition, but snails and slugs come along with heavy rainfall, and I think they are just so pretty to look at. Look at that gorgeous shell! This guy was really happy to sit still and let me take pictures. Or maybe he was trying to run for his life—who knows? Snails are slow.




So that's what's happening in my yard right now. What do you love about nature? How is your garden growing this year? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner(s)!

Did you know that you can buy an entire chicken at the grocery story for less than $6? Well, you can. And if you are willing to put up with a little home butchering, it can make enough food to last you almost a week. I bought a chicken last weekend for our Sunday meal, and used the last of it just yesterday. This is a huge help when you are trying to mitigate the expensive cost of meat in your grocery budget. First, it needs a little work. I roasted the chicken for our weekend dinner, and I always butterfly it because it cooks faster that way. I'm not going to sugarcoat it--butterflying a chicken is kind of gross. Really gross, actually. But if you can overcome your squeamishness, it cooks great. There are a lot of great tutorials for doing this on YouTube, but here is how I did it.  Step 1: Remove the giblets (the heart, neck, and gizzard). This is disgusting because you must reach into a dead animal and pull out its organs. But once they are out, you can throw them away, ...

Zumba Night!

Okay, so, I haven't updated my blog about my weight loss every Tuesday night like I planned. But I am proud to report that not only have I continued to go to the gym at least thrice a week, I even convinced N to join it with me! The exercise thing is going a lot better. Today I even looked at myself in the mirror while I was zumba-ing! I don't think that I will ever be the kind of person who loves, loves, loves going to the gym, it does feel kind of good, kind of virtuous to get all sweaty and be able to tweet, "I am at the gym doing zumba!" For those of you who don't know, Zumba is the new fitness craze. I guess if you were to totally simplify things you would call it a type of aerobic class, but it is really so non-aerobic-y. There is not a lot of pumping, or jumping. It is 100% dancing. A little bit of salsa, a little bit of hip-hop, and tonight, even a little bit of ballet. It gets the heart rate waaaay up, and I always end up drenched in sweat, and best of ...

Drugstore Diva: What My Face is Wearing These Days plus my First Ever Giveaway!

First, My BB Cream Story. I am not sure if you are aware, but there is a new beauty product flooding the market right now. It is called BB Cream, and no, I do not have any idea what the Bs stand for. It is a cross between foundation and moisturizer--one step up from tinted lotion and one step below actual makeup. In short, this is a product tailor made for people with sensitive skin, a lax beauty routine, or both. I decided to try it immediately upon discovering that such a product existed, but decided that I did not want to spend a lot of money. So I picked up the L'Oreal BB Cream. L'Oreal makeup has rarely disappointed me. It is usually my favorite drugstore brand, but this time, they really let me down. The cream was not very creamy at all. It came out of the tube as a white liquid, requiring me to rub it between my fingers for application. This got more product on my fingers than my face. Once applied, it became almost powdery, leaving me feeling less than moisturized, and...